Friday, June 19, 2020

Fear Factor



Fear Factor was an American stunt/dare game show that aired on NBC from 2001 to 2006. The show was recently renewed, giving viewers the chance to conquer their fears. Fear Factor helps contestants confront their fears while being pushed beyond their comfort zone.

It’s okay to be scared. It’s okay to be fearful at times. Being scared means you’re about to do something really brave or really stupid. Let’s go back in time and review our life. We were probably afraid to ask our high school crush to the big dance. How about buying a home? Walking into a job interview for that dream job. We have all experienced fear. How do we conquer our fear? Simply, by placing our trust in God.

In today’s Gospel reading by Matthew(10:26-33) Jesus said to the twelve apostles: “Fear No One...everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before the Heavenly Father. But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my Heavenly Father.” Wow, that line in the gospel stood out during my reflection. Fear No One? I had one thought, What about fearing God? We have all feared God and that’s a good thing. The fear of God is a gift of the Holy Spirit. God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of sound mind. We need the Holy Spirit in our lives so that we can acknowledge God’s plan for us.

In the end of Fear Factor, the winner walks away with the prize of $25,000. The contestants have conquered their fear of heights,fire,water and animals. Life is like a game, but the prize is heaven. We need to be focused on our Heavenly Father and accept his plan for our life. I personally know that I can be fearful of letting God be in control, but we see in the biblical verse Galatians 4:7 “I’m no longer a slave to fear, I am a child of God.” It is my prayer that we can let go of fear and let God come closer to our hearts.

Come Holy Spirit, pray for us!

Bernard of Clairvaux

No comments:

Post a Comment