Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Where did the men go?


LK 22:14-23:56
Good day, fellow pilgrims.  As we approach Good Friday, once again we are transported into one of the most dramatic & powerful stories in world literature.  It begins with Jesus sharing His last supper with His disciples. Afterwards, He walks with his friends to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray.  It is here where he is betrayed by one of His own and arrested.  The horror begins for Jesus and what He is about to endure is incomprehensible.  For a moment, let’s step back to the garden.  After the chaotic events of Jesus’ arrest, He is dragged away alone and “All the disciples fled the scene” (MK 14:50).  They vanished into the darkness, abandoning Christ.  Where did His men go?    When I reflect upon this, the Latin phrase stating, “leave no one behind” and the US Army Ranger’s motto “I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy” comes to mind.  So much for loyalty, eh?

Now, I invite you to imagine the beaten & battered Christ being marched through crowds who mock and taunt Him.  Who do you see?  It’s Mary, the mother of Jesus and the other women disciples who try desperately to follow Jesus to the hill that holds His fate.  Again, I ask myself, “Where are his disciples?”  Suddenly and at tremendous risk to herself, Veronica breaks through the ranks of Roman soldiers to wipe the face of the battered and bleeding Christ. Another act of womanly courage appears.



I always experience a sense of shame when I think of the disciples who always vowed to “take the back” of Christ leave Him behind. The ones who promised to stand by His side, no matter what the risk.  Yet the same ones who disappeared into the shadows of Gethsemane and abandoned Jesus.  I do not believe that I would act in such a cowardice manner; but in all honesty, I cannot assure that I would not run with the others.   Fast forward to Golgotha, where Jesus is dying & struggling to breath from His Holy cross.  I see one man standing among a group of women, it is John, son of Zebedee.  Beside him is Mary, the mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene, Mary of Cleophas and Salome (the follower of Jesus).  The only other men we see are the Roman soldiers who continue to mock Jesus & curiosity-seekers.  Once again, I ponder, where did His men go?

I have found most women of faith possess remarkable attributes including compassion, empathy & sincerity.   Women seem to retain the ability to transform unimaginable pain & suffering into strength and love (especially in times of loss).  This is what Jesus succeeded in doing on that hill.  So, we may never know where the men went after abandoning Jesus in Gethsemane, but we know where they ended up.  After being shown divine mercy and empowered by the Holy Spirit they soon became apostles; evangelizing a new faith and church.  Now as for the women, I respectfully suggest that we take a close look at the faithful women in our lives.  Women who lead by humble service, who nurture our world and who are the anchors of our families.  They are the same women who stood with Mary, the mother Jesus (on the Hill of Golgotha) and who remained close to Jesus in His most desperate hours.  They are truly women of unwavering devotion & loyalty.  Maybe we can learn as lesson from the women? So, as I take up may staff again and continue walking, I simply ask, “Are you willing to remain close & join them?” (This reflection is dedicated to mom in heaven and my wife on earth)          The (Stumbling) Pilgrim. 




3 comments:

  1. I am new to this group. I have been married almost 53 years, have 4 children and 6 grandchildren.
    Just want to put something out there for those who are married to think about.
    I see the sacraments of matrimony and holy orders as two sides of the same coin. When you take holy orders, you give up one, to live all. When you marry, you give up all to live one.
    Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the group, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on these two sacraments. It a short but very profound thought!

      Delete