Friday, May 15, 2020

A Commandment of Love


 A family friend was taking care of his dying sister, who was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. She was a single woman, never married with no children. All she had was her brothers and sisters. They all promised to help her in her sickness. Everyone said,”If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask, I’ll be there for you.” Family members promised to take time off from work, rearrange their schedules to help with with hospice. It was going to be hard work, dedication and sacrifice. As time went by, family members gave excuses in not helping. Only one brother placed his life on hold to help his dying sister. Tension began to rise as people continued with empty promises. Finally, after shear exhaustion and frustration building, the fights begin again. Words were exchanged, the dying sister begins to yell out: “ Don’t tell me you love me, show me that you love me.

  Today in the Gospel of John(14:15-21), Jesus talks about the Holy Spirit, whom he calls the Spirit of Truth. This gospel talks about how Jesus continues to deliver his “Farewell Discourse,” preparing his disciples for his departure and their receipt of the Holy Spirit. Jesus then says to his disciples “ If you Love me, you will keep my Commandments.” We as Catholics read that line and say, “ of course Jesus, I Love you.” Here, we have made a promise to Love our God with all of our heart, mind and soul.” If we live the Commandments, then Jesus promises the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is an advocate to be with us always, the Spirit of Truth, whom the world has rejected, because it neither see’s nor knows him. Jesus promises, “ I will not leave you orphans. I will come to you.”

 The words of my dying parents will always be etched in my heart and soul. I was blessed to say I love you mom and dad, as they were dying. The comment of the dying woman was profound, it hit my soul when I first heard it. “ Don’t tell me you love me, show me that you love me.” Jesus gives a Commandment to Love. Not a promise to Love, not a vow to Love, but a Commandment of Divine Rule. A law that must be obeyed, especially one handed by God.

 The gospel begins and ends with Love. Love always wins. “ If you love me...and whoever loves me will be loved by the Father, and I will love him and reveal myself to him.”  It is my prayer that I can keep God’s commandment of Love. By keeping promises, vows and commandments, we are telling the Father that Love conquers sin and death. Author M. Scott Peck said,”The more I love, the more I grow, the more I shall become.”

Come Holy Spirit, pray for us.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux

No comments:

Post a Comment