Thursday, May 21, 2020


The Ascension – Looking Beyond

5.24.20.Gospel
At times, it seems impossible to look ahead & beyond some situations.  Today we are deep into uncharted territories of quarantine and uncertainty.  Doubt & uncertainty occupy much of our days and can easily creep into our minds.  Let us examine the disciples in this reading.  After  all they have seen along their amazing journey, some of the eleven still “doubted.”  (MT 28: 17-18) It always amazes me how some still had doubts while traveling with Jesus.  Certainly, that would never be me, right Lord?  Never me, Lord!  But what about Peter’s denial?  Am I above even Peter in believing that I would respond any differently than those standing with an ascending Christ?
Prior to this scene, the disciples followed our Master. When He spoke, they hung on His every word.  They shared food, laughter and watched Him perform miracles.  For the most part, they appeared loyal to Him.  Yes, there were times when they spoke behind His back (LK 10: 46-48), questioned His resurrection promise (JN: 25-26) and made assumptions that were incorrect (MT 47-50);  yet here they were watching Him ascend to heaven to rejoin God!  What I always struggle with is Jesus’ unwavering belief in these doubting-disciples who were soon-to-be apostles.  He constantly looked beyond their faults, doubts & weaknesses. Unaware, this group had left behind the role of being students and were soon to become holy messengers, great teachers of the faith & eventual saints.
How extremely easy it is to judge others. For me, I must admit that it seems too much to “look beyond” a disappointment or hurt someone has done to me.  Betrayal hurts: disappointment upsets me & promises broken cannot be tolerated.  Right?  But wait a minute.  Is that what Jesus is trying to teach me?  Perhaps Jesus is challenging us to go the extra mile, to look beyond what we know for now?  What about you?  Do you struggle sometimes with believing in the risen Christ? I regret putting this to paper, but I have my moments when I too, question the existence and presence of God (despite the signs given to me throughout my life).    
But deep within myself, the truth is that “I do believe.”  It is an intimate, silent calling; a desire to find God and bring others to Him also.  That is my goal now.  My every thought and prayer are invested into this.  But sadly, I too stand sometimes stand with these disciples who watched their friend ascend to heaven before their very eyes and question what I have come to known as the truth.  God help my disbelief & teach me to look beyond myself.  Rescue this misfit from his own devices. Pray for a recovery and be safe my friends.  The Pilgrim.

No comments:

Post a Comment