Thursday, March 31, 2022

Go and sin no more......

 Jesus is loving, forgiving, kind and merciful. This we know; yes, we have been told since childhood what a benevolent God we serve. And it's true! This week's Gospel reading is perhaps one of the most Iconic examples of Jesus's Mercy. "Neither do I condemn you" He says to the woman after her accusers walk away. They walk away because they know that they are not without sin; and so no-one can cast the first stone. No one except Jesus, though - and He came to us as the King of Mercy - so He told her to "go, and sin no more."

That last part is very important though, and I wonder if I give that part as much attention as I give the "neither do I condemn you" part. It's easy to focus on Jesus's Mercy when I fall short, and yes, we should Hope in His Mercy. The problem is, I find myself all too willing to condemn others when they are clearly at fault. And if that is my tendency, what will Jesus say when He comes as Just Judge?

No comments:

Post a Comment