Saturday, March 2, 2024

Your Name Here

This week's Gospel is John 2: 13-25.  In the reading, we hear about Jesus entering the temple to find it filled with money changers and vendors.  In His zeal, Jesus drives them all out of His father's house.  

But what struck me on this reading was toward the end, where we hear that, "While he was in Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, many began to believe in his name."  

I have been thinking a lot about the idea of "name" recently.  In many of our prayers, we ask for things in God's name, or Jesus' name.  And/or we ask that our acts bring glory to God's holy name.

And that raises a question.  When our name is literally etched in stone, what will it mean?  "John Smith" "Susan Johnson" Whatever it is.  What will the final meaning of our name be?

It is that question, for good or for bad emotional and spiritual integrity, which motivates me to do whatever good I do.  And to avoid whatever bad I avoid.  I want my name to have a meaning.  Good man.  Faithful Child of God.  I want to earn those titles.

Whether we "earn" anything from God, or whether we do good as a manner of showing appreciation for God's mercy to us, we should think of what our name will mean one day when it is etched on stone.  I know that sounds dark and bleak, but it is not meant to be.

Years ago, I attended the funeral of a neighbor, Mr. Paul Echausse.  After the Mass was over, a family friend, and the celebrating priest, Father Ed, started clapping as the casket moved down the aisle.  And a (full) church started clapping along.  Mr. Echausse had earned that, with his kindness and generosity toward his beautiful wife and eight children.  I have since thought of my life through the lens of that funeral. What will my name mean in the end?  Will I have earned such a send off as Mr. Echausse had gotten.  I ask that question not in a morose way, rather as a guide on how to live life.

What will my name mean?  And will it be used, when I depart this Earth, in a way that suggests that it was aligned with, and promoted, the Glory of God?  I hope so.

Peace be with you.

- The Older Brother

No comments:

Post a Comment