Saturday, February 18, 2023

Not My Cheek

This week's Gospel reading is the "eye for an eye" vs. "turn the other cheek" reading.  Matthew 5:38-48

I love that reading, and I love the sentiment.  And I can do it.  I can turn the other cheek.  As long as it's my cheek that was slapped.

But I have people I love, and that's where I have a problem.  I can't turn the other cheek when it's not my cheek that was slapped.  It's not my forgiveness to grant.  And besides that, I tend to love the people I love more than I love myself.

I can do Christianity pretty easily when it comes to myself, but loving my enemies is really difficult when my enemies are also the enemies of those I love.

So, as I have found myself recently doing, I turn to Mary.  Mary had a son that she loved dearly, and he was tortured and killed, and she still stood as silent witness to his forgiveness.  She amplified His message, if that's possible, by supporting it silently while being present for Him.  

Peace be with you.

- The Older Brother





No comments:

Post a Comment