Friday, January 13, 2023

Turn up the volume.

     In this weeks Gospel, John 1:29-34.  John the Baptist introduces the world to  the Lamb of God.   John saw Jesus walking towards him and said  “Look, there is the lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world”   This was the first time that  Jesus was being recognized as the messiah.  Today I ask you when do you recognize Jesus as the messiah in your life.  Do you take the time to “see” Jesus throughout the day?  Do you take the time to recognize that Jesus is always at work?  He’s always working on who we are and how we live. 

     The Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world can sounds almost a little impersonal.  I know when I think of the words “sins of the world”  I can get lost in there.  It’s sounds more like umbrella coverage for God. I know I'm covered but God really isn't focused on me.  Yet, I know that as a Christian Jesus came to wipe my sins away, all of my sins. Personally, everything that I have done and will do that is sinful  will be wiped clean. He has come to give  each and every one of us a blank slate.  Each and everyone one of us has been giving a fresh  start.  The lamb of God that takes away the sins of that world includes you and I. Every  single sin you have committed has been wiped clean and we are called to follow God and his way of life.   Our nature is sinful so we need to be very much present to Gods way of life when we are out in the world.  Even then we will fall short. Thankfully we have the Holy Spirit to guide us.  The Holy Spirit is also how John  was able to recognize Jesus. John didn’t fully understand exactly  what Jesus had come to do. (I’m not sure Jesus knew exactly  himself. ) Yet, he knew that Jesus was coming and he knew exactly  how to recognize him. 

   

     "The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and rest is the one who is to baptize with the Holy Spirit."  That’s exactly what John saw.  The Bible  says John saw the Holy Spirit In the form of a dove resting  on Jesus’s shoulder. That’s how he recognized Jesus.  How do you recognize Jesus in your life?  How do "see" Jesus? Is Jesus some mystical character that you think about? Is he here to look over you? Is he like a father watching and keeping a close eye on you?  There really isn’t a right answer. Your relationship with Christ is your relationship. Is it to be examined? Sure but without judgment. We are all have different relationships with Jesus and I believe that's how it supposed to be.  How and when you recognize Jesus in your life is unique to you.  I Just know that just like John, you are able to recognize that he is the Messiah and very much part of your life.  For me,  I see Jesus in the random acts of kindness from others. I see a Jesus when Christians continue to believe  and have faith even though we are in a world that is increasingly violent and filled with negativity.  I see Jesus in  a child that hasn’t learned  of hatred or racism.  I see Jesus when we  choose to do the right thing  and overlook an offense and see the common bonds we all share on this planet.  I see Jesus in the actions of the people that do what’s right even when the world suggests otherwise.   We all have the opportunity to see  and recognize the presence of  Jesus in our lives. It takes some patience but I believe Jesus is always  here managing, assisting, supporting and loving us at all times. When we see Jesus the Messiah will we be like John? Will we say it out loud. ? Will we proclaim that we have seen him or do we keep it to ourselves?

As a Christian we are called to announce that we have seen the Messiah with our own eyes. We  are called to share that we believe that our salvation has already been taken care of.  In a world that is growing more and more divisive we are called to speak up. We are called to turn up the volume of our faith and belief in Christ.  Like John the Baptist, we are called to recognize and proclaim that Jesus is here and  in our lives.  Jesus is in our lives to not because of our righteousness. He’s in our lives because of God’s Grace.  When you “see” Jesus this week turn up the volume and announce it. You never know who’s listening. 


-Anonymous 

No comments:

Post a Comment