Sunday, January 8, 2023

The Epiphanies

 "The Epiphany" story from today's Gospel is really the first in a series of three epiphany stories.  In the first story, we hear how Jesus was revealed to the world by the calling of the Magi.  Later in Matthew, in the story of Jesus' baptism, we hear about God revealing that Jesus is His son.  Yet later in Matthew, in the story of the wedding at Cana, the first miracle of Jesus is revealed to the world.  

What's the point?  The point, to me, is that finding and understanding Jesus is not a one-shot deal; it's a life-long process.  I sometimes feel that I have met and accepted Jesus.  Other times, not so much.  Then I have more moments, and I feel I have advanced.  Then two steps back.  And so forth.

But I think that's OK.  The way the Bible relates the story of Jesus, it was a process, not just one moment.  Nobody "got it" right away.

Right or wrong, when I hear people say that on such and such day, or at such and such time, they accepted Jesus as their Lord and savior, I am both envious and dubious.  If that is how people, all at once, have "an epiphany" and they're done, that's truly great for them.  That's just not my personal experience.  For me, it's more one step forward and two steps back.

How is it for you?

Peace, brothers and sisters.

- The Older Brother

No comments:

Post a Comment