Saturday, August 27, 2022

The Lowest Place

 Six years ago, I was asked to give a speech honoring one of the best men I have ever met, Bob Martella.  And in fact, the person asking me to give the speech was another of the best men I have ever met, Paul Clagnaz.  The occasion was Bob's retirement as the Head Custodian, teacher, and coach of St. Brigid's School.  

My main inspiration for the speech was this Sunday's Gospel.  The reading is from Luke 14: 1, 7-14.  

In the reading, Jesus is telling a parable about going to a party.  The message of the parable is that we should conduct ourselves with humility and honor God in our works, rather than assigning the credit for our actions to ourselves.  In the parable, Jesus suggests that a party guest should take the seat of least honor, so that the host may ask the guest to move up to a higher seat.  And Jesus warns that if the guest assigns himself the higher seat, he may be embarrassed if the host asks him to move to a lower seat.  

Speaking about Bob was easy because he always assigned himself the lowest seat.  By that, I mean that he always did the right thing, without looking to be applauded for his efforts.  He always understood that the goal of his actions was to help others and so give glory to God.  He never acted as though the goal was to honor himself.  Paul is like that, too.  Two men of great integrity.   

But here's the point.   We have high moments and low moments.  What I try to do is not "strut" at the high moments.  Because, brother I'm here to tell you, "this too shall pass".  I'll be patting myself on the back for something I did, and then God will put me where he wants me, i.e., the lower seat.  He will remind me of my failings.  Or maybe I remind myself.  Or maybe both.

I guess the best way to avoid having those moments of strutting for our "good deeds", and then being smacked down, is to remind ourselves that our successes, achievements, and honors truly do not belong to us; they belong to God.  Our successes are no reason to assign ourselves the "higher seat".  As Matthew 5:16 reminds us, "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good deeds and give glory to your father in heaven."  Sounds right to me.

Or remember it a different way.  How do we start our prayers?  "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit..."  All of our works are done in the name of God, not in the name of ourselves.

Peace be with you.  Keep the faith.    

- The Older Brother  

No comments:

Post a Comment