Friday, September 24, 2021

I Make It About Me

 

It all started for me in the 8th grade.  I never considered myself to be a popular person, but for some reason some of my fellow students thought I should be the class president.  So I ran for the only political office I would ever run for in my entire life – Class President of the 8th grade class at Saint Mary Gate of Heaven School in Ozone Park, Queens.  Never having thought of myself as being popular, this seemed like my one chance, at least in my adolescent twelve-year old mind, to be the popular one, to be the important one. 

The problem is I had to run against a very popular classmate.  I am going to give her the name Rosie for the sake of this reflection.  Rosie was by far the most popular student in the whole eighth grade class.  If this was going to be a popularity contest, Rosie would win hands down.  She was talkative.  She was pretty.  She was the life of the party.  Everybody liked Rosie.  Everybody would be sure to vote for her.   I figured the only possible way I could defeat her was to come up with an awesome speech.  Each candidate was expected to give a five-minute speech on why they should be elected as class president.  And so I came up with all these ideas about what I would do as class president.  I listed in the speech all the great ideas I had for fundraising so we could have, as the graduating class, some great field trips.  I thought about all these great ideas to make the school a better place for the students.  I don’t know, maybe I even had on my platform that I would convince the teachers to not give homework! I don’t know. All I knew was that I had an awesome speech, and if my fellow students got to hear my ideas against Rosie’s ideas, I would be sure to win.

Now the day for the speeches and the election came.  I had practiced my speech, and I was all set.  This was the best speech, I thought, since JFK’s Inaugural, when he said, “Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”  As I came to school that day, I didn’t see Rosie anywhere.  She was always in the schoolyard before school, talking up a storm.  She’d be leading a game of hopscotch with the other girls or even engaging the boys in a game of tag.  This morning was the morning of the big speeches and the election.  Where could she be?  As we got in the classroom, the teacher delivered the sad news that the night before Rosie’s grandmother had passed away and Rosie would not be in school that day.

So, it was decided that I would give my speech anyway and then the election would happen.  So, I gave my speech, with all my great ideas.  I figured, well I am sure to win.  They would hear only my great ideas and then I would win.  Once my speech was over, the students got to vote and I got demolished.  I am not even sure if the students who nominated me in the first place voted for me!

Of course, I cried foul.  I said it wasn’t fair that they didn’t get to hear Rosie’s speech against mine.  I wanted to prove her better I was than her.  I even remember thinking that people just voted for her because they felt bad about her grandmother passing away.

As I reflected back on that incident some forty-five years later, I realize that as much as it seemed like the most popular person won, my own motivation for winning was based on a desire to be popular as well.  It bothered me, not because I lost the election and I wouldn’t get to implement my ideas for the good of the students.  No, it really bothered me, because there went my chance to become popular.  I realized later I was running for class president, because I wanted to be the popular one.  I wanted to have the chance to tear down the popular one, Rosie.  I wanted to feel the adulation that I though she felt. My desire to make it all about me had me lose even my feelings of sympathy for her at the loss of her grandmother.  I wasn’t worried about the good of the other students.  I wasn’t concerned for Rosie and how she must have been feeling.  I made it all about me.

And so perhaps we do with what God calls us to.  We make it all about us.

No comments:

Post a Comment