Wednesday, September 29, 2021

And the Two Shall Become One



I feel like this is a challenging reflection for me to write; it would be much more pleasant and easier to focus on what Jesus had to say about letting the children come to Him. But I feel like I get more out of scripture when I question the parts that make me uncomfortable.  This Sunday's Gospel reading is difficult to reconcile with today's sense of justice.

Has divorce affected you in your life? Certainly, we're not here to judge each other; I firmly believe that no man can claim to be worthy to stand blameless before God. As a result of divorce, I grew up without a father. I met my dad when I was 28 years old. At a certain point, he felt that it was necessary to explain to me why he did the things that he did; as he started to go down that path I cut him short. I said that there was no need to speak about the past. I told him that I was happy that he reached out to me and that our relationship starts here. I meant that. (If my life were to be condensed into book form, that chapter might be called "The Prodigal Dad.") 

From the language used in Scripture, I believe that marriage is more than what we think it is. Scripture tells us that "the two become one." I find this reminiscent of how Jesus speaks of His relationship with the Father, and our relationship with Him. "On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you" John 14:20 Even though we are not of Divine origin, we enter into relationship with God Himself through covenant; so that a unitive relationship exists where none did before. Much like marriage. Scriptures speak of the "wedding feast of the lamb" and I believe it is more than just imagery: there is deep meaning in that. 

When I think about our frail and faulty human relationships, I think about how many times have I betrayed the Love of my God by doing something that separates me from Him. Even so, Scripture tells us that God is faithful to us even when we are not faithful to Him. 

Where am I going with this? I don't know. I do know that every time I feel challenged in my own marriage; any time I feel hurt or angry, (Hey - it happens) any time I feel that I have been wronged or denied something that I am entitled to,  - if I think about it, I usually discover that in a similar way,  I have wronged my God or denied Him something that He is entitled to in my relationship with Him. Yet He is always there for me. He always takes me back - He always says "you're forgiven; go and sin no more." And I am reminded to be faithful, forgiving, patient, loving and kind in the same way that my God is with me.......

                         + Theophilus

No comments:

Post a Comment