Saturday, August 22, 2020

Who is he?

       In today's Gospel Matthew 16 13-20 Jesus asks Simon Peter a very important question.  The question was “Who do you say I am”    Simon replied  “You are Christ, Son of the living God”    When Jesus heard that response he told Peter that God put those words in his heart. What he was saying is that Christ was  revealed to Peter by God.    Jesus went on to say that he will build a community on Peter and his response to that very question.  I think that Jesus was saying with that response Peter showed Him that he had something special in his heart.  That something special that Peter had  was called faith. Faith that only God could have given him and upon that type of faith Jesus was to build an entire community of followers.  


    What is so special about faith that Jesus can build out his entire community followers and for 2000 years we are still here? What is it?  Personally, I’d tell you that faith in Jesus is everything.  When I say everything I truly mean everything. To have faith in Jesus means that everyone and everything is moving us towards God. Not somethings, and not some days but everything and everyday. Faith in Jesus means that this very moment has been sent to you by God. Faith in Jesus means all things are under his control.  Do you have that type of faith? Do you believe that nothing in this universe an happen without the approval of Jesus? That’s  the type of faith that Peter showed Jesus with his response.  


I believe that Jesus has a personal relationship with each and every one of us.  He understands our  strengths and weaknesses. He understand where we fall short especially when it comes to faith.  Even though I know that being a follower of Christ is based  solely on faith I still have my weak moments. I still have times when I lose sight of the “everything” that Jesus controls.  I get caught up in my own head and think I am in control of the everything.  Yet, each time that happens... Jesus redirects me.  He sends me kind words from a friend.  He sends me a song that soothes my soul. He sends me gentle nudge to go deeper into prayer.  He sends me what I need. He knows me.  Jesus knows me  and you just as much as he knew Peter.   


So today if you ask me Who is Christ to you? 

My answer is simply "Everything."




-Anonymous 


No comments:

Post a Comment