Friday, August 28, 2020

Open your heart

  



Paul Claude was a Catholic French poet, dramatist and diplomat. He was famous for his verse dramas, which conveyed his devout Catholicism. Claudel was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in six different years. Paul Claudel is quoted as saying:”God did not come to remove suffering. He came to fill it with his presence.” His quote made me think about the suffering I experience in my life. 

 To experience the pain of suffering is something that can break one’s heart. I was standing bedside next to my dad at NYU/Langone hospital. Cancer was not the answer I wanted to hear. I was listening to a group of doctors discuss chemotherapy. My heart was breaking, because I knew my father was too sick for treatment. Chemotherapy was going to cause suffering and only delay the inevitable. My father raised his hand to the doctors telling them to listen. He said:”its time to go home.” I knew at that moment, my father accepted the cross. I also believed in my heart that God was calling me to carry the cross. I asked St.Simon to intercede on my behalf in prayer. 

 Today in the Gospel of Matthew (16:21-27), Jesus begins to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly from the elders, the chief priest and the scribes, to be killed and on the third day be raised. This is Jesus first passion prediction. Jesus calls us to “take up your cross, and come follow me.”

 We have all suffered some form of physical, emotional or spiritual agony in our time. It is our faith that gives meaning to suffering. We ask ourselves; why did this happen to me? I respond with a simple answer: why not? Then I turn to God and ask to take away this suffering. Can’t hurt to ask. But somewhere in the mist of suffering, God is calling us to be closer to him. We hear the silent words”take up your cross, and come follow me.” All we have to do is listen with our hearts. God will come to us, but we must open that door in our hearts. It is only God’s Love that will give meaning to suffering. 

St. Simon, pray for us!


Bernard of Clairvaux 

No comments:

Post a Comment