Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Listen to Him




Saint Joseph’s Abbey is a cloistered Roman Catholic monastery of monks of the Order of the Strict Observance, known as Trappist, set apart from actions and trends of most of their neighbors; they live a contemplative life, dedicating themselves to the praise and worship of God. The monastery of St. Josephs’ Abbey is located in the rolling hills of Spencer, Massachusetts.

I happen to be on a weekend retreat, when the monastery was celebrating the 60th anniversary of Brother Thomas.  Amazing, sixty years being a monk. I thought to myself, what words of wisdom would this saintly old monk share with us? The moment arrived at mass that Brother Thomas would address the congregation.  He smiled and said” My name is Brother Thomas, I've been a monk for 60 years; I will leave you with these words of wisdom: “Do what they tell you.” Brother Thomas left the pulpit, sat down in his stall. There was a silence in the Church, and then a roar of laughter filled the Church. I sat in the back of the monastery smiling. “Do what they tell you.” It was short, sweet and right to the point.

In the Gospel of Matthew (17:1-9) we read that Jesus took Peter, James and John and lead them up a mountain. It was clear something important was about to happen. What Happened? Jesus Christ transformed before the three apostles, his appearance changed and became glorious. “His face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light.” (Gospel of Matthew) Amazing, simply amazing! However, God continues, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” Hearing the voice of God, the Father, the apostles fell in fear to prostrate God. However, Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and do not be afraid.”

Now back to Brother Thomas, “Do what they tell you.” Sounds so simple, but in truth, it’s a surrender to the will of God. I trust you God that I will obey your commandments, I will listen to my superiors, I will listen to my heart. Jesus, I Trust in you, but I’m afraid to completely give everything to you. Isaiah (41:10) states it clearly: “so do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; uphold you with my righteous right hand.” The phrase “do not be afraid” is written in the bible 365 times. That’s a daily reminder from God to live every day being fearless.


So remember, be fearless, rise and do not be afraid. “Do what they tell you.” Pray that we can listen to the will of God without being afraid, so that God can transform our hearts and lives.


Brother Thomas, Pray for Us!

Bernard of Clairvaux


No comments:

Post a Comment