Thursday, September 5, 2019

Heart full of Jesus.


This weeks Gospel: Luke 14:25-33 Jesus explains what it will take to be a disciple. During his explanation Jesus’s uses an example of knowing the cost of construction before you begin a  major project. Knowing exactly what you will have to pay at the start so you aren’t surprised at the end. I don’t know about you but if you have ever attempted any home project, there is always a surprise. Your simple kitchen upgrade is always full of surprises. The type of surprises that require new tools and professional help. What Jesus did during this talk was eliminate the surprise. He goes into detail and let’s us know the true cost of discipleship. Jesus says that if you want it come with him you need to hate your parents, siblings and even your own life. I doubt he meant that you couldn’t love your parents and family. I think he meant that you can’t love anyone more than you love him. That is the cost. The cost of being a disciple is anything that will interfere with your relationship with Jesus. If you truly want to follow Jesus, you must get everything and everyone that stands in his way completely out of your life. Your friends may not agree with Jesus... they gotta go. Your family may not all agree... they gotta go. You may be living or acting in a way that you don’t think Jesus will approve of... that also has to go. When it comes to your possessions Jesus says... you don’t need any! As a follower we are asked to leave every possession behind. I don’t think we are supposed to give up all of our material possessions but, I do think loving them more than you love Jesus is a problem. Have you ever wanted some thing so bad that you took you jeopardized your relationship with Jesus? Have you ever wanted a possession so bad that it actually started to possess you?? I have done that. I think that’s when we run into trouble. Jesus clearly wants his relationship with us to be the most important thing in our lives. No thing is supposed to interfere. No possession is supposed to posses your heart like Jesus.

As a follower of Jesus I have worked hard at doing what I consider to be the right thing. Yes, I have fallen short and have had my share of setbacks on this journey. Yes, the setbacks show up as surprises just like the kitchen upgrade. There are times when I lose a little faith. Still, I know that I can always count on the professional help of Jesus Christ. When I am caught off guard with one of life’s many surprises, Jesus is always right there ready to help. The cost of being a disciple may be very high. Yes, you will end up losing some friends along the way. You may end up making sacrifices that may not always seem worth it at the time. You may not be living life like most people in the world. Being a disciple does mean you have to give up a lot but it is nothing compared to a living life with a heart full of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment