Thursday, August 22, 2019

Do you know the way?

Did you ever stop to give directions to someone that was trying to find their way? I'm going to guess that at one time or another you have; It's a very common experience after all. I would like to invite you to think about some of the things you say when giving directions, particularly when the place in question is not easy to get to. When I am in that situation, I will often add helpful details to my directions like "as soon as you can, get in the left lane because the next turn comes up quickly......" or maybe something like "It's hard to see the building from the street, but it's the next entrance immediately after the Dunkin Donuts...." I'll add these "details" because I think they are important. What good is only saying that they have to make a left turn when you are pretty sure they will miss the turn if they don't get in the correct lane in time?

In this Sunday's Gospel reading someone asks "Lord, will only a few people be saved?" Jesus responds not with a simple "yes" or "no," but with what I consider to be directions that I'm supposed to follow: “Strive to enter through the narrow door, for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough."

What I find to be very interesting in these directions is that even though they are very sparing in the use of words, Jesus includes two helpful details.  The first detail is the use of the word "strive." Strive, as in: "struggle or fight vigorously" or  "make great efforts to achieve or obtain something." So He seems to be telling us that ~ THE WAY ~ is not always going to be easy, either that or that other ways will look easier, but they are not.

The other helpful detail is that many will "not be strong enough." Perhaps it's that struggle that makes one strong enough to enter through the narrow door, or maybe the narrow door is the easiest way in after all, and although there are other ways in, they all require great strength.

All considerations regarding the original language and translation to the side, it's clear that Jesus used language that expressed overcoming difficulty in choosing the narrow door and the consequence of not being strong enough otherwise. I have to think that Jesus used those words because they are important. It's clear that Jesus is telling us to go in through the narrow door. Exactly where is this narrow door, I wonder? And how will I find it? I wonder if "the door" to salvation is this journey that we are on which we call "life." What do you think?

                                              + Theophilus


No comments:

Post a Comment