Tuesday, June 18, 2019

God's Multiplication


This week’s Gospel reading is the well-known story of the loaves and the fishes.  Jesus directs the Apostles to feed 5,000 men by handing out five loaves of bread and two fishes.  Seems absurd, but it works.

What’s the point of the story?  The point is that sometimes in giving to another person, what you give is worth far more in the recipient’s hands than it was in yours.

Here’s a true story.  I was in Manhattan one day and I see this woman standing on the sidewalk with her hands up in the air, praying.  She was not praying in English, so I don’t know what she was saying.  But she was looking to the sky, and was clearly asking God for something.  She had a sign on the floor asking for money.

So, I took a $5 bill out of my pocket and placed it in her hand.  (Her hand already contained other donations.)  I walked away.  She didn’t even acknowledge my presence, and that was totally fine.  Better probably. 

As I walked away, I looked back at her.  I remember thinking that the money had very truly multiplied in that moment when it left my hand and entered hers.  Why?  Because it was far less money to me than it was to her.  The money had truly become more valuable.  Ask an Economist and they might agree.  The bread (pun intended) had multiplied in the giving.

So, what’s the point? The point is that we should give because God will multiply our gift.  It doesn’t have to be money.  It can be money, if you have some extra, but it doesn’t have to be.  My family has causes that we give to, St. Jude’s, a Christian radio station, a child in need in a Third World country.  And that’s all great.  But most times, to be honest, I don’t have extra money.  (At least I don't think I do.  Amazing how I always find 8 bucks for a Big Mac meal, right?)

But you can give in other ways.  One of the best ways is a kind word or gesture.  Think of it.  Absolutely free to give, but sometimes priceless to receive.  God's multiplication factor is almost infinite.  And your kind word or gesture may be the only good thing someone receives on any given day.  And who knows what impact that might have?

- The Older Brother       

No comments:

Post a Comment