Thursday, May 2, 2024

 

Sixth Sunday of Easter

John 15: 9-17

 

“I have called you friends…”

 

          On April 8, 2024 the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome released its latest declaration entitled “Dignitas Infinita” (Declaration on Human Dignity).  The first section concludes with the statement that “The church’s magisterium progressively developed an ever-greater understanding of the meaning of human dignity … until it arrived at the recognition that the dignity of every human being prevails beyond all circumstances.”

 

          My first reaction to this was: Really?  It took several centuries to come to this conclusion?  Didn’t Jesus tell us as much when he said in today’s gospel, “This is my commandment:  love one another as I love you.”?

 

          Don’t get me wrong.  I think this declaration from Rome is all important, especially in this day and age.  Perhaps throughout the centuries, and throughout our own lives, we’ve heard Jesus’ commandment so often that its meaning has become faded and we forget the simple fact that to recognize another’s dignity is essential to loving one another.

 

          Yet, in today’s gospel we hear something else from Jesus that makes his commandment real.  He does not give us this commandment as “magisterium.”  He does give us this commandment as “Teacher” or “Rabbi” or “Master.”  He does not even give us this commandment as our God.  He says “I have called you FRIENDS, because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.”  Our God is telling us he is our friend – and telling us that this is how we should love one another.  Friend.  Isn’t that the basis of dignity?  Isn’t that the basis of love?

 

          How will people know that they are loved by God – and have dignity – if they do not know it from us?  I can proclaim scripture.  I can recite declarations from the magisterium.  I can share church teaching.  But God’s love does not become real to someone unless I call them FRIEND.  A true friend does not tell us what we need to know, or how to act, or what to believe.  A true friend listens when need to share; holds us when we suffer; comforts us when we grieve; stays with us when we are most alone.  A friend is a friend under ANY circumstance.

          “I have called you friend…”  What better way is there to be loved?  What better way is there to love?

 

          “Call me Ishamel”

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment