Sunday, January 28, 2024

 

Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Mark 1:21-28

 

“What is this?  A new teaching with authority.” Mark 1:29

 

          Two things stand out for me in this passage.  First, the word authority.  When we think of that word we think of someone who is credentialed.  Someone whose position, title and/or training gives them the authority to do or command something.   A police officer has the authority to pull me over, a civilian does not.   Indeed, the Greek word used in scripture – exousia -  conveys this idea.

          One of the lines in this passage that throws me, therefore is “… he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes.”  Wait a minute.  Weren’t the scribes the ones with authority?  After all, they were the ones charged with copying, preserving and teaching the Law.

          Later on the congregation says about Jesus, “What is this?  A new teaching with authority.”  So Jesus is saying something different than what the scribes usually teach.  Yet, Jesus is not credentialed. (At least not to this crowd.  Not yet.  We, of course, know that Jesus is credentialed because of his position and title:  Son of God, Messiah, the Christ.  But in this passage he is still simply just one in the congregation.)  So the use of the word “authority” here, to me, means “truth.”  Whatever Jesus is teaching in the synagogue on this particular day (and the passage is silent about that) is something that resonates with this congregation.  Although they are used to being told what the truth is because the Scribes (the authority) tell them, now they know and feel the truth in their hearts because what Jesus says makes sense to them, it has authenticity – or “authority.”

          And we see the congregation appreciating Jesus’ authority (though they do not yet know him as Son of God, Messiah, the Christ) because they see “… even unclean spirits…obey him.”  Jesus must be authentic as even one with an unclean spirit is afraid of him (“Have you come to destroy us?”) and knows who Jesus really is (“I know who you are – you are the Holy One of God!”)

          The other thing that stands out for me is that this man possessed with an unclean spirit is there in the synagogue with the congregation.  Compare this to the man with the unclean spirits who “… had been dwelling among the tombs, and no one could restrain him, not even with a chain.”  Mark 5:3

It is more difficult for me to identify with the man wandering among the tombs.  This man, however, who sits in the synagogue although he is possessed with unclean spirits – well, he’s a lot more identifiable to me.  What is this man doing there in the synagogue?  Well, sometimes I feel, “What I am doing in church?” I’m a sinner.  I have my own demons and doubts and fears and failures to contend with.  But I go to church with all my sins and failings because I seek the “truth.”  I seek God and all that God means:  mercy, forgiveness, healing, hope, strength, comfort.  In a word – divine love.

          And how often do I hear the “truth” from those with apparent authority, but it does not resonate, but then I hear the “truth” from one who may not seem to have authority, yet what they say and do makes sense, it is authentic.  Through them I truly hear Jesus.

          The man with an unclean spirit sat in the synagogue and heard the scribes.  Yet, his unclean spirit remained.  The same man heard Jesus’ words, and his unclean spirit “…came out of him.”

 

Authority.

 

          What about me?  When my unclean spirits are cast out (though they may return) what is it, or who is it that compels them?  To put it another way, when do I truly hear Jesus?

          Much to ponder about.  Much to pray about.

 

“Call me Ishamel”

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment