Friday, September 8, 2023

 

FORGIVENESS and PRESENCE

23d SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME

Matthew 18:15-20

 

Once again we hear the call, the commandment, to forgive.  And we are reminded that we are given the authority to forgive.   “… whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven….”

Yet, we are also given the awesome authority to not forgive.  “…whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven…”

Having the authority to do so is one thing.  Having the ability is quite another.  How in the world can I know what to bind and what to loose?”  What talent, wisdom or intellect do I have to make that decision?  How can I possibly judge what to bind or what to loose when I, myself, am subject to such judgement?

The answer is in presence.  The presence of our Lord, our Savior, Jesus.  Only when I am consciously aware that Jesus is present in my mind, my heart and my soul can I be confident regarding what to bind and what to loose.  Even then, it is not only up to my own discernment – although that’s where it must begin.  More importantly, Jesus’ presence can only be fully manifest when two or more are gathered in his name.  Only by working together – with each other, for each other – in HIS name – can we be assured that Jesus is working through us.

All our earthly talents and wisdom and abilities mean NOTHING unless they are given over to Jesus.

Aware of Jesus’ presence we realize, of course, that when we bind others we bind ourselves – and when we loose others, we loose ourselves.

It is said that to err is human, to forgive is divine.  And to gather in his presence is essential.

 

“Call Me Ishmael”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment