Saturday, March 4, 2023

 

Second Sunday in Lent

Mt 17:1 -9

 

The Transfiguration

 

          Once again, we hear those words, “Be not afraid.”  Such important words as we continue our Lenten journey.

 

This particular scripture passage has always confounded me.  It always raises more questions than answers for me.  (But that’s ok, because wrestling with questions has always been a way for me to get closer to God.)  For instance, how did the apostles know that the other two individuals were Elijah and Moses?  There were no photographs back in those days.  I have never seen or heard of ancient paintings or drawings of them?  Were they wearing name tags?  Did they introduce themselves?  (I know I am being facetious, but the mind goes in many directions when questioning).  More importantly, what were Jesus and Elijah and Moses talking about?  Jesus often speaks of his upcoming suffering, death and resurrection.  Did he need to speak to Elijah and Moses about that?  And why them?  Why not Abraham, why not David? And most importantly, why did this happen in the first place?  Why did the Transfiguration occur?  Why in the presence of only Peter, James and John?

 

I don’t have answers to these questions, but I do know that this passage always reminds me of three things:

1.     We’re all connected.  Clearly this passage is telling me that Jesus is connected to Elijah and Moses.  A reminder that WE are connected to Elijah and Moses (and Abraham, and David, and ALL who have come before) and, most importantly, to Jesus.  (This always makes me think of that part of the Mass where a drop of water is poured into the chalice, signifying that we become part of the blood of Christ – part of Jesus, part of God – and CANNOT be separated.)

2.     We are all a part of Jesus’ suffering and death.  Suffering and death are inevitable.  And because we are literally part of Jesus, part of God (think of that drop of water again) we are part of the Pascal Mystery.  Which means, of course, that we are also ….

3.     … a part of Jesus’ resurrection.  A part of God’s glory.

 

That’s a scary thing.  I do not want to suffer and I do not want to die.  AND – I feel unworthy of God’s glory.  Yet, that is EXACTLY what I am called to.   A scary thing  yes, but Jesus reassures me, “Be not afraid.”

 

That’s what this Lenten journey is all about.  To be transfigured. 

 

Jesus, help me to be unafraid.

 

“Call Me Ishmael”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment