Friday, September 9, 2022

Renewed and Celebrated.



     In this weeks Gospel  Luke Jesus is sitting with sinners and  tax collectors while the Pharisees and scribes  look and say “This man receives sinners and eats with them. While sitting there,  Jesus tells 3 parables.  Parables that you may have heard already.  The first one was the parable of the lost sheep.  In this parable a man with one hundred sheep loses one. Instead of focusing on the 99 sheep that he still has, he focused on finding  the lost one. Who would do any different?  When you found your sheep would you celebrate? Jesus says there will be more  joy in heaven for a sinner that repents  then for a righteous person with no need to repent.  Then he goes on to tell another parable. This one  is about a woman that loses a coin.  She searches until she finds it.  When she finds it she also rejoices and tells her neighbors that she has found the coin that was once lost. In the last a parable Jesus talks about father and his 2 sons.  The younger of the two  sons requests that he get his inheritance early. His Father listens and does give him his inheritance. Ultimately, the son squanders  all of the money and has to return home. He returns home  defeated  by life and his reckless living. He tells his father  what he has done and instead of being disappointed the father celebrates the return of his son.  He celebrates that his son was lost  but now he was found. 


    Each one  of these parables deals with the  loss of something which in the end is found.   I’m not sure if you have ever  had the experience of losing something valuable and finding it again. It’s almost as if you were given a new gift.   Many years ago my mother gifted gold necklaces to each of her sons.  We wore them proudly because she had given them to us as a way for us to always keep her close.  It was something special that my  2 brothers and I shared. 


    Occasionally, I run 5k’s or half marathons  as way to stay in shape. One  cold winter morning just before a 5k  in Washington Heights,  I realized that I was wearing my necklace, and decided that I didn’t want to run with it.  At the end of the race I rushed back to my car and sped home to shower , change my clothes and get warm again.  After my shower  I realized that I wasn’t wearing  my  necklace and had forgotten what I had done with it.  Maybe it was the pre race jitters but I sort of misplaced it. Not sure  why, but I assumed I’d find it in a day or two and let it go.  As the days went by without my necklace I began to  slowly lose hope.  “My necklace was gone forever” I began to think.  Maybe I dropped it during the run. Maybe it fell  in  Washington Heights and it was just gone. What’s was I gonna tell my mother!?  How could I have been so careless?  Well, months passed before I found my necklace in the placed behind the passenger seat of my car. When I found it...it felt like a  brand new  necklace.   It was like I never lost it. It was with me again. 


    When Jesus told  the parables of the prodigal son, lost coin and the lost sheep he demonstrated that finding  something that was once lost is like being given  a new gift.  It’s almost better than what you had before.  It’s almost as if value increases when it what was lost  is recovered.  Being lost  and then found has a value.  That’s what God does. He can  add value where you see a loss.   In life, you will suffer and you will faces losses.  I have grown to understand that suffering is very much a part of being alive. Today I ask you, have you ever felt lost?   Have you ever felt misplaced, or out of place? Have you ever felt as if you are out of step with life ?  I’d like to say most of us  can relate to that feeling.  What’s important though is realizing that we will all have those moments and all we need to do is recognize that God is on our side guiding us. Guiding us back to his love.   We can be renewed in that exact moment we realize  that the lord is always with us. We can become brand new in his eyes and ours.  It doesn’t matter how  many times you have stumbled. The lord is will always be there to pick you up and dust you off.    Renewed and celebrated each and every time.  Renewed in the eyes of the lord.  So many of us think that we “fail” when we don’t live up to the standards that we hold ourselves to. Just like the prodigal son who returns we are ashamed. We are disappointed in ourselves , but  the lord has open arms and welcomes us back.  The value we place on ourselves has nothing to do with the value that the lord places on us. Remember that you are no different then a lost coin, sheep or gold necklace. When you return to the lord you are brand new. You  are actually better now that you have been found.  

No comments:

Post a Comment