Monday, July 26, 2021

 

The Bread of Heaven

18th Sunday of Ordinary Time – August 1, 2021

John 6:24-35

 

I get hungry.  Then I eat.

Then I am full, satisfied, content.

An even though I do not consciously think about it, I know deep down that the food I have eaten makes me healthy and helps me to live.

But then … after some time ….

… I get hungry again.

 

In today’s gospel Jesus tells us that He is the bread of life, and that all who come to him will never hunger nor thirst.  What a thought.  To be always full, satisfied, content.  To be always nourished and healthy – and to have life always!

 

That is the promise; that is the gift. Yet, the bread of life offered in the outstretched hand must be met by the hand that is open and willing to receive it.  So often I turn away, distracted by this, that, or the other thing.  And the outstretched hand of Jesus waits.

 

I am like those people in the crowd in today’s gospel.  They have just been filled with the loaves and fishes.  They have just been filled with God’s love and mercy.  Yet they are hungry again, and they seek Jesus again. 

 

This is the way of life.  This is the way of my life.  I am only human.  I am a sinner.  And so I am always hungry.  Yet Jesus does not deny me.  He does not judge me.  The outstretched hand offering the bread of life is always there … waiting.  Every Sunday in the Eucharist.  Every day in the Eucharist.  Every day in prayer.  In every moment and in every person I meet.  It is there – always.  That is the paradox of our faith.  If we are always hungry, we will always be fed.  We will always be satisfied.  We will always have life.  We need only have the desire.  We need only be hungry – for God.

 

To paraphrase The Most Interesting Man in The World (I am sure you remember those old Dos Equis commercials), “Stay hungry my friends.”

 

“Call me Ishmael”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment