Thursday, May 13, 2021

 


AMBASSADORS OF CHRIST

Mark 16: 15-20 (Sunday Gospel: May 16, 2021)

“Go into the world and proclaim the Good News to the whole of creation.”  Familiar with this Gospel?  In summary, Jesus tells His disciples to carry on from where He left off.  They are no longer strangers and are given the mission to build the church and to evangelize.  The message that struck me was simple.  I too have a responsibility to do my part in actively converting others, as I work on converting myself to the Gospel messages.  I too must be an “ambassador for Christ” in all that I do.  St Francis of Assisi summed it up by saying, “Preach always and sometimes use words.”  So just how does “little ole me” follow in the footsteps of the apostles? 

I assume that if you are taking the time to read this reflection, you are already following through with Jesus’ directives.  You may not know it, or you may not feel you can do it, but the roles assigned to you from heaven, are being acted out daily.  Despite our character flaws, most people I know do not feed into the grand lie that screams out, “It is impossible for you be an ambassador of God.”  There are times I doubt myself and this is the great paradox of walking in the footsteps of Christ.  I must fight this propaganda with all my heart and once I remember the words mentioned above, I receive the grace to carry on.

The simple truth is that we all possess the ability to be ambassadors of Christ. There are ambassadors all around us, doing the work needed to renew the face of the earth.  Just look to the pandemic and all who sacrificed their time and safety to care for others.  It was nothing short of remarkable to witness these holy disciples.  Is the work challenging at times? Yes.  Does exhaustion drag them down periodically? Absolutely.  And do they all fall into the trap of doubt and discouragement while trying to walk the walk?  Undoubtedly. 

I am blessed to be a part of a group of men who call themselves, Fishers of Men” and who are carrying the torch of the first disciples by praying daily and writing weekly reflections throughout the year.  And they are doing this anonymously, without a need to be recognized by using pseudo names to do their part as ambassadors of the faith and behind a cloak of obscurity. They are teaching me lessons of kindness, integrity, respect, acceptance and most importantly, humility with each reflection they post from their hearts.  Thank you, dear bothers.  For without each of you, I would sink into the abyss of doubt and uncertainty. So, before I leave and continue my path, I leave you with one question to ponder.  “How might God be asking you to be an ambassador for Christ?  The Pilgrim. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment