Tuesday, March 2, 2021

 

I'm Only Human:  Reflection on the Gospel for 3/7/21 (John 2: 13-25)

"I'm only human." 

That is a phrase we often say to explain our flaws and frailties, our mistakes and misjudgments, and our sins. It's simply who we are.

And a temple is only a building, too, right?

After all, it consists of bricks and mortar, or wood, or metal and glass, as the case may be, but is certainly made by human hands. Essentially a temple - or any house of worship - is like any other building.

Yet, Jesus teaches us in today's gospel, that a temple is set apart from all other structures.  It is a place where we encounter God.  A place where we take our human-ness - our flaws, our frailties, our mistakes and misjudgments, our sins -  and receive forgiveness and mercy and purification.  A place where we encounter the holy, so that we can become more holy. And so, a temple - or any house of worship - should be respected as such, and kept clean of unjust activities.

In today's gospel Jesus reminds us that we are more than merely human.  He became a human, like us, so he could call us closer to the divine.  He tells us today that he, though human, will rise again in three days.  He invites us to this eternal life as well.  By his very being he seeks to elevate us beyond our human-ness.

Ultimately the choice is ours to make.  We can accept the invitation or reject it.  We can remain "only human" or we can become temples of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 6:29).  Are we to remain simply flesh and blood, prone to sin?  Or are we to be "living stones" to be "built up as a spiritual house?"  (1 Peter 2: 4-5).

In today's gospel Jesus acknowledges our human nature, and, so, knows that though "many began to believe"  they did not fully understand.  Not yet.

And so, this Lent I must ask myself, do I, also, believe, but do not yet fully understand?  What more do I need to do to elevate myself beyond my sins?  Whatever I need to understand, whatever I need to do, I know I cannot do alone.

Today I pray that, as Jesus cleansed the temple to restore it's holiness, He cleanse me as well.  

 

"Call Me Ishmael"

No comments:

Post a Comment