Wednesday, February 10, 2021

 

I DO CHOOSE

Mark 1: 40-45  (Gospel Reflection for Sunday 2.14.21)

Maybe you have heard the remark, “He was treated like a leper?”  This remark has its roots in history for those afflicted with what we know now as Hansen’s Disease.  In biblical times, if you were unfortunate enough to have leprosy, you were required to live apart from the mainstream and in small communities of other lepers.  “He was obliged also to live outside the camp.” (LK 13:45) Most believed that the leper was spiritually and physically unclean. Their condition was believed to be a curse from God, and they were shunned by their neighbors.

Although we have found a cure for Leprosy, the stigmatization of others who are different continues.  Through no fault of their own, maybe they were born with Downs Syndrome, or without a body part, or someone who limps because one leg is shorter than the other, or, or, or.  We find much wrong with others, don’t we?  In earlier life,  I found myself also behaving this way, falling into this sin of impulsively in harshly judging those who did not fit my definition of normal or acceptable.  God forgive me for this,  for it was Jesus who eventually got my attention and schooled me in compassion, empathy, and love.  I am both ashamed and grateful at the same time.  Another great paradox of the Christian journey and in some ways I remain self-righteous.

Fast forward to 2020  when the world was suddenly infected by the rogue Co-Vid.  Too many good souls were taken because of Co-Vid and outright refusal to accept medical science and because of a lack of moral leadership.  And I am angry because of this.  The ignorance and self-righteousness forced a country to bury hundreds of thousands of their loved ones.  Their lack of leadership and longing for power and control forced our communities to follow the lepers into the hillside caves for many months.  For now, the toll is incalculable.  In essence, we became the lepers of 2020 fearing that we would infect a loved one or ourselves becoming infected by another. How many lives might have been saved is the question?   Perhaps, now we can relate to the biblical lepers?  Maybe now, God is giving us an opportunity to look at the sinful sides of ourselves? The sides that are not of Light, but that of darkness.  The sides that promote dissention, detachment, and disharmony – the evil that has been a part of all mankind since the beginning.

As Jesus prepares to take the sins of all mankind onto Himself,  we find Him approaching a leper.  His heart was filled with compassion and the love for all was the benchmark of His presence (then and now).  As I look back into 2020, I have witnessed countless acts of sacrifice and selfless love that mimic our Lord’s life.  They continue to this day.  These who act like Christ are the essential workers who stock the food shelves, pick up our garbage, deliver food to the homebound, medically treat the sick and dying, bury the dead, celebrate the Eucharist, counsel those in need and just being good neighbors to others.  The list is growing, showing us the truth about most people.  They are good!

As I reflect about this Gospel and upon the last year, I am challenged by those saints around me that decided to choose yes.  I am not certain how much time is left for me, but I am certain that I will follow all those who respond “Yes” to God and try my best to walk in the footsteps of His son.    The Pilgrim

No comments:

Post a Comment