Wednesday, September 9, 2020

The great Mercy of our King

 What a relief it is to now that we have a King that is so merciful, kind, and forgiving. To know that Jesus, like the king in the parable in this Sunday's Gospel reading is quick to forgive and to release us from the just repayment of our debts. All this, simply for the asking; because He already paid the price to reconcile us to our Father. How does one respond to this? How do YOU respond to this?

Of course Mercy such as this demands a response. Clearly as we can see in this parable; the response must include being merciful to others, as God is merciful with us. Jesus tells us that we are called to love one another as He has loved us. This is because we are called to be LIKE God.

I know of many people that pride themselves and boast that they are saved. I could never say one way or another about whether or not another person is saved. All I know is that I personally have to work hard to make a proper return for the great gifts and the Mercy that the Lord has shown to me. I'm sorry to say, that it is not always easy for me, that is, if I even bother to think about it. To be honest, I'd have to admit that I have often been like the wicked servant in the parable; not realizing that I too, must be as merciful and forgiving as the Lord has been to me. Anyone that has ever driven in the car with me during rush hour can attest to that fact!

So I ask you again, my dear brother in Christ, by way of invitation to contemplate more deeply the great treasure that is the Good News of the Gospel: how do you respond to our Lord's Mercy?

Peace,

                   + Theophilus    

No comments:

Post a Comment