Thursday, July 23, 2020

Montauk Fishing






 I can remember the first time I went fishing. It was a summer vacation out in Montauk, Long Island. It was an adventure to say the least. Four of my brothers, my sister and my dad standing on a pier overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. It truly was a beautiful scenic view. I thought by casting my fishing line in the water the fish would come swimming over. I was wrong! I threw my fishing-line out hundreds of times. Waiting for the Big catch. I was bored, cranky and not liking the sport of fishing. Then it happened, the line had a strong pull with the red bob going under the water. I had my first fish.

Today in the Gospel of Matthew, (11:25) we see a number of parables concerning the Kingdom of Heaven- the hidden treasure, the pearl of great value found by an enterprising merchant, the great net thrown into the sea which brings in all kinds of fish, some good and others bad. The fishermen throw the good fish into the boat. The bad fish are discarded into the sea.

The net thrown into the sea is an image of the Church which holds the just and the sinners. Jesus teaches us this same idea on other occasions. His Church contains saints as well as sinners, his friends and those who abandon the Father. Yet all belong to the Church, though in different ways.

The excitement of my first catch was something I would never forget. My brothers came running over to help with this “mammoth” fish. One of my brothers said:” I hope it’s not a shark!” The moment of truth came when I saw a fluke fish at the end of my line. The excitement was over when I touched the fish to take the hook out his mouth. Safe to say, I’m not a fisherman. I threw the fish back into the water.

God calls all of us to be a part of his Church. Many times we feel unworthy to “follow” God. It’s Jesus who is the Master fishermen in our lives. The bait God lures us is the Eucharist, Sacraments and the hope of eternal life. Jesus states in John(10:27-28)”My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: and they shall never perish.”

God never abandons us. He will never throw us away like bad fish. God calls the qualified, He qualifies the called. Just remember, ever saint has a past and ever sinner has a future. Jacob was a cheater, Peter had a temper, David had an affair, Noah was a drunk, Jonah ran from God, Paul was a murderer, Miriam was a gossiper, Martha was a worrier, Sara was impatient, Mary Magdalene was a prostitute, Abraham was old, and Lazarus was dead. God did not throw them away. God has a plan for everyone. “ For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

Bernard of Clairvaux

No comments:

Post a Comment