Thursday, March 19, 2020

Faith in the midst of Corona

I find that I often try to make sense of things that I don't understand or that don't have any control over. It is especially true of the intersection between the world that I live in and my faith in a kind and loving God. Bad things happen, and when they do it can challenge this idea that our God is omnipotent or that he is truly kind and loving. Perhaps the Apostles were trying to understand this apparent contradiction in this weeks Gospel when they asked Jesus, who sinned that this man was born blind? They didn't even ask Jesus why the man was born blind - it was simply assumed that it was punishment for sin - perhaps it was "the wrath of God" that they were focusing on, even though Jesus preached the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus explains:
“Neither he nor his parents sinned;
it is so that the works of God might be made visible through him.
We have to do the works of the one who sent me while it is day.
Night is coming when no one can work.
While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”
Yes, Jesus is the light of the world; and we are the body of Christ. It is during times like this current pandemic we find ourselves in that we tend to feel the darkness closing in around us. But we are called to be light for the world. So how do we respond to it all? Do we run out and buy 200 rolls of toilet paper? I think ultimately how anyone of us responds is a very personal decision, but I would invite you to consider responding in a way that is mindful of Jesus's command to do the works of God while it is still day. I believe that each one of us can respond in such a way that the works of God can be made visible in us.

How can you be the light in these dark times?


No comments:

Post a Comment