Thursday, October 3, 2019

Tough Love


This week in the Gospel, the Apostles ask Jesus to increase their faith.  In response, Jesus tells them that if they had faith the size of a mustard seed they could move mountains.  (Ouch.  We're asking you to help us, Jesus.  Maybe you could not put us down!?)  

Jesus then tells the Apostles that if they did what they were commanded to do, they would be "unprofitable".  (Thanks, again, Bro!  So, if we do what you ask, we make no profit for you? Thanks for the motivational speech, Buddy!)

So, what's the deal?

As to the faith/mustard seed thing, I think that having faith is an on-or-off thing.  You have faith or you don't.  I usually don't think of it that way because I say, "Well, I do some of what Jesus is asking, so I must have a little faith."  No, that's not true.  In reality, if I had faith, I would respond to Jesus fully, and I don't respond fully.  So I have to work on having faith.  I have to make a conscious effort to respond to Jesus' love by trusting Him.  Listen, Jesus wants a complete relationship with us, not a partial relationship.  That's all He's getting at.  

What about the "unprofitable" line?  What is Jesus trying to say to us, here? Think of it this way. Have you ever gotten a B+ on a test and been real proud of yourself, but your father says, "How come you didn't get an A?"  That's dad-speak for, "That's great.  But next time I know you can do better."    

It's tough love, but it's love.   

- The Older Brother   

No comments:

Post a Comment