Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Humility: The road less traveled

(LK 18: 9-14) Gospel Reading 10/27/19 
This reading has Jesus comparing the prayers of a pharisee and a tax collector.  On face value, it seems rather forthright.  The Pharisee is arrogant, critical & self-righteous, while the tax-collector is humble, ashamed & pious.  Experience continues to show me that the road to humility is filled with unforeseen potholes, unexpected roadblocks & frustrating delays.  Sound familiar?

Anyone remember the 1953 classic film entitled, “The Robe?”  It stars Richard Burton who plays Marcellus Gallio. A disillusioned & drunken Roman centurion who wins Jesus’ robe in a dice game and after the crucifixion.  It is a story with prominent themes including arrogance, pride, humility, grace & sensitivity.  Marcellus travels from idolatry to faith in the Christ he crucified. His journey takes him from a secular egotism to a converted, humble man of faith.  It is a worthy watch.

At one time in my life, I too wore a uniform & was given a great deal of authority, much like Marcellus.  Like him, I carried myself with a defiant sense of arrogant pride & self-righteousness. I had a narrow definition of inclusivity; centered on only me and small band of others that I deemed worthy.  As I look back, this was a trap that centered itself in a demeaning attitude.  Much like the Pharisee, I also felt superior & overly critical of those around me. (1 Chr. 32:25) And like Marcellus, God was not in the equation then.  What about you?  How many times in your past (or possibly right now) did you (like me) harshly disparage others & was anything but humble? 

Feelings of pride are not necessarily bad & it is important to experience pride.  Pride is like money.   Money has its advantages & can be beneficial; yet when we begin idolizing money, it turns on itself and becomes arrogant (Prov. 11:2).  Alcoholic Anonymous (AA) is a self-help program for addicts.  It is rooted in an ongoing process of change, humility & surrender; identical to Marcellus’ conversion experience.  These are the fruits of many conversion stories; including mine.

This road to humility is formidable; at times paved with disillusionment & shadows.  There are painful truths along this path that I would much rather avoid.  Some have associated this pain with darkness. I never cared for the dark, especially as a child.  With more time behind me, than in front, I now see darkness as an unavoidable encounter. Perhaps the journey through darkness can offer us an opportunity to acquire humility and discover the light? (Isa. 9.2) Maybe, the Lord allows us to wander in this darkness before we find the ultimate truth about ourselves?  As Christians, on a shared pilgrimage maybe the darkness has something meaningful to offer?  Have I ever in life, prayed like the Pharisee, but also longed to be the tax collector? Absolutely. Have I sat in the chair of condescending superiority; criticizing others and seeing them as being inferior to myself? Definitely.  I have many more miles to travel & much work remains, before I depart from the Pharisee part of myself. Perhaps, now is the time to ask Jesus, who is the personification of perfect humility, to lead me out of the darkness of self-righteousness and into the light of modesty & wisdom? What do you think?  Will you join me on my quest? Hope to see you on the road.
The Pilgrim.     


No comments:

Post a Comment