Wednesday, September 18, 2019


Another Fine Mess & The Dishonest Shepherd
LK 16: 1-13

I know some remember the classic, comedic duo “Laurel & Hardy?”  Whenever they found themselves in a difficult situation (usually at their own doing), poor Stanley was berated by Oliver who sarcastically uttered his famous remark, “Well Stanley, here’s another fine mess you’ve gotten me into.”  It appears the steward in this week’s passage also found himself in a mess of his own doing.  This week’s Gospel is centered upon violation of trust & amnesty (pardon).  It’s a worthy read.

Historically, mankind has been consumed with an obsession for power, the need to control others & the accumulation of material wealth.  It usually ends ups up rather badly.  Would you agree that with these worldly desires, a lack of accountability arises? Personal accountability today appears to be an allusive gesture, lost in a mix of double-talk and fallacious testimonies.  Sometimes I find myself mimicking Oliver Hardy by saying to myself, “Here’s another fine mess we’ve gotten ourselves into; without looking at where I fit into the mess.”  Maybe as you read this, you are dealing with a personal matter that is a fine mess?  As I sit by the side of the road, I contemplate the troubles I’ve made in my life.  They usually began with a careless attitude that resulted in disappointment, distrust & shame.  In truth, I could not have learned any worthwhile without experiencing the dark messes of my life before appreciating the light. (John 11:43-44) 

In his dishonest matters, the steward eventually compromised his master’s faith & trust by squandering his money.  Once held accountable, the steward decided to make things right by showing mercy to those who owed debts to his master.  The players in this parable are obvious (master=God & servant=me).  Interestingly, the master does not punish his corrupt servant, but rather he commends him for being prudent & even shrewd. Wow, I was sure it would not end up good for the servant.

Besides mercy, perhaps Jesus’ message is also stressing the importance of trust in God.  Experience has proven that trust is the cornerstone in every relationship.  And on this path called life, I am constantly reminded in many ways that God’s redemptive love, His healing & just pardon is always obtainable.  I simply must trust Him unconditionally with a contrite heart.  I continue to examine myself and wonder if I am willing to honestly address the messes I’ve made in my life & be accountable like the steward.  What about you?  It can be unnerving to examine these places of darkness, shadow & shame that are designed to separate us from God.  It appears to be an unavoidable path we must travel in the spiritual clean-up of our messes & in order to obtain Gods’ love & pardon.  (Isa. 55:7) Please pray for our Mother Church.  The Pilgrim

No comments:

Post a Comment