Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Persistence



This week's Gospel has two different things going on.  The first, incredibly significant, recounts Jesus providing the Apostles with the Lord's Prayer.  If you want the center of Christianity, look here.  But believe it or not that's not what catches my eye in this reading.

The second half of the reading, a parable about persistence, is what catches my attention this time around.  The story is that a man goes to his neighbor's house late at night to borrow bread to give to an unexpected guest.  The tag line is that if the neighbor being asked "does not get up to give the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence."    

I've heard a number of sermons that suggest that this means that we should be persistent in prayer, and I don't disagree.  Then again I'm sure that there have been untold numbers of innocent men, women, and children who prayed their tails off for deliverance from various perils and didn't get what they wanted.  At least they didn't get what they wanted in their lifetime here on Earth.

So, how do I understand this reading?

This way: prayer is an expression of faith in God, and to God.  It is our way of saying to God nothing more than we accept the idea that God has an ultimate plan which includes our salvation if we are willing to accept the offer of salvation.  We may not see the "right answers" to our prayers in our lifetimes, but in the end (as in the end of times), all salvation will be given to those who accept that message, and that's all that matters. 

And, quite frankly, I think that God will grant salvation to those who struggle to accept that message.  I hope that's true, or else I'm in bad shape. 

I hope for your acceptance of God's promise of salvation.  And if you come to a perfect understanding of how to get to that acceptance, please tell me.

Peace be with you.

- The Older Brother

No comments:

Post a Comment