Wednesday, February 27, 2019


CLARITY vs. OBSCURITY

Good day everyone. In this week’s upcoming Gospel (LK 6: 39-45), like students we sit listening to Jesus teach us another lesson.  Like most teachers, He instructs with thought-provoking parables and challenging questions.  This week Jesus poses a question about whether we believe one blind person can lead another who is also blind.  He goes further by challenging us “to remove the log (or obstacle) in our eye before we attempt to remove a splinter in someone else’s eye.”  So, what is He trying to teach us?
        
I presume that Jesus is asking me to honestly acknowledge my weaknesses, imperfections & sins before I either try to offer aid to someone else or come to judgement of a person.  From a personal perspective, Jesus’ analogy of the log in my eye confronts me with the hypocrisy I have resorted to in my life sometimes.  Hypocrisy that deceptively, insulated me from certain painful truths about myself and realities I tried my best to avoid.  And hypocrisy that prevented me from developing into the person God always wanted me to be; a person of clarity & transparency.
   
In this week’s Gospel, Jesus asks me to openly, examine my arrogance and lack of humility.  How often I want praise and acknowledgment for my good deeds? In truth, too often.  And why do sometimes require the accolades of others to validate myself and to be assured that I am behaving in a proper, Christian manner?  More questions seem to arise.  Now praise is important when it is the result good intent, but if my ulterior motive is to be praised, it becomes a log in my eye.” 

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a wonderful self-help, support group.  It relies upon many slogans within their ranks.   One slogan that seems to resonate with me (regarding this lesson of humility, hypocrisy and vision) is to “keep the focus on yourself.”  In order to experience true change or sobriety, one must do this first and foremost before any real, transformation occurs.  My dear friends in Christ, let us pray for the courage to live out the Good News every day with a sense of clarity and humility Let’s also focus on the logs in our eyes, before we attempt to identify the splinters in the eyes of those around us. And finally, “Let us seek accolades from no man; only God.” It seems that if we are left alone to accomplish this, it becomes a hopeless task and our vision remains clouded.  But with the Lord and fellow brethren, we are given the precious gift of both sight and direction that allows us to not only talk the talk, but walk it as well.  God bless and I hope to see you on the road I am journeying. The Pilgrim.



No comments:

Post a Comment